Brushee Brushee

I had the most EXCELLENT idea to reroot a Original Ghouls Draculaura. It was the best idea I’ve ever had. Especially considering I have literally never done anything like this ever before. But hey, what can go wrong?

I started out doing some reasearch, looking at different materials for doll hair, and I wanted a whimsical wavy / curly sort of effect. Browsing through etsy, I found some Tesswater locks. … I assume this is a type of sheep. The ones I’m using are a really great lavender colour that go well with Draculaura’s skin tone. unbrushee

So here’s what I started with. Some wonderfully curly locks. These are 2 of the 4, as I only decided to take a picture when I’d gotten half way through combing them out. Which is an adventure in itself.

There are all sorts of different tones and shades within the locks, and it should hopefully have a pretty nice effect once it’s all been attatched to Draculaura’s head.

Making a wig seemed a little tricky for my ability level (in hind sight it would have probably been better) but I have yet to find a concise tutorial to figure out how to get all the hair on without the parting looking appalling. I’ve seen some people gluing hair to wig caps to make them, but what do they do when they get to the middle?! More research is definitely needed.

 

But first the brushing. So much brushing. brushee

I picked out each lock as it curled, and started from the ends, using a rat tail comb to comb it out. The fine teeth meant most of the tangles didn’t stand a chance, and the thin handle helped pick apart bigger tangles.

Once I’d gotten halfway to the middle form one end, I switched it round and started from the other. I had to keep the locks wrapped around a finger, not just held on to, so less strands could slide through my grip and escape.

A lot of the tightly curled ends broke off during the combing process, which made life a whole lot easier. I lost maybe 2cm tops in length, but didn’t have to deal with what seemed to be the most knotted part. Also as locks had only been roughly washed and dyed, the ends were a little discoloured at times (perhaps from dirt? animals do like dirt…) and there were little bits of grass and seed casings among the locks, that caused a fair amount of the tangles.

There was also a bit of wastage. But really, it’s unavoidable, and the amount seemed reasonable given how a few of the locks were to knotted they were essentially dread locks. All the tips and the strands that tangled in my comb looked like a large purple dustbunny by the end of combing out 2 hanks.

brusheebye.png

I’ve stored it in a box for now, it’s a big swirly mess of purples, which is weirdly aesthetically pleasing. I suspect I shall end up giving it to my grandmother to use in her crafts, I’m sure she’ll find some use for it.

It took 2 evenings and half the first series of X-Files to comb this lot out, my arm ached by the end of it, and my bed was full of seed cases (because where else would I do anything).

And now to embark on putting it into the poor girl’s head.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: